Monday, September 23, 2013

Craving for Malaysian Food Satisfied

So in craving for some good Malaysian food lately. To be specific, had been craving for Hainanese Chicken Rice and Wanton Mee these few days. So went to two different places to satisfy my craving today. Firstly, PapaRich at QV. I hardly go there as to be honest the food there is expensive yet tasted not that good. There's always an exception to everything, and it is the Papa Chicken Rice which is actually Hainanese Chicken Rice.
Teh C Peng Special (3 Color Milk Tea)
Before the main meal, to start with I had the Teh C Peng special. Normally this is what Malaysians miss as it is a very popular drink back home. The drink was alright I would like it thicker though.
Papa Chicken Rice
Now to the main attraction, normally this is what I will order and this only whenever I come to Papa Rich. Their chicken is the one that I can find which taste almost the same as what I can get back home, though there's still quite some difference, it is the best I can find here. One thing that I really like about it is that there's coriander on the chicken and coriander to me makes a big difference to the dish because of it's awesome fragrance. Besides that, the chilli sauce is very nice, just not spicy enough. For us Malaysians, chicken rice without good chilli sauce is not considered as chicken rice. That is how important the quality of the chilli sauce it. The chicken was nicely steamed and the skin was very chewy and slippery. The gravy was very appetising as well. Furthermore, the soup was very nice and yet it is not dead salty. So overall I love this dish!
Beef and Chicken Mix Satay
Haha just something that caught our eye when looking through the menu. Long time I hadn't been eating any satay, even when I was back in Malaysia for semester breaks, I can't recall having any satay. The satay at Papa Rich was alright, not the best ones I tried but was quite good. The satay sauce was okay as well however I would once again prefer it to taste thicker and more spicy.

So that was lunch. Dinner today was at Shophouse Kitchen also at QV. I ordered the BBQ Pork and Fried Wantan Noodles with Sichuan Sauce Base.
BBQ Pork and Fried Wantan Noodles
So called "Wantan Mee" is a typical west Malaysian hawker dish. Since I'm from East Malaysia I hardly ever eat something like this back home, it is just not mee. However as I was watching some hawker food show on YouTube last night, I craved for it and the only place that I can think of to satisfy my craving is Shophouse Kitchen. I've been there a lot of times but I never ordered this dish before, so today I was "brave" enough to try it out. When I ordered it, in my mind it went like "I will never order something like this again here if it turned out to be bad". To my surprise, I really really loved it. I chosen the Sichuan Spicy sauce base and it went well with the noodles and everything. The noodles was not lumped and did not stick together which is a very important aspect to this dish. The noodles had a good taste too. I tried a few similar dishes where to noodles was just tasteless. The BBQ pork had a nice "BBQed" taste and was not too sweet. Now for the fried wantan or fried pork dumplings, usually I get sick of them after 1 or 2 because those I tried mostly were just plain oily and tasteless. However today it was really awesome. I can feel the meat inside and I was surprised there were prawns in there too. After having the 3 fried wantans I literally wanted for more. Just an awesome dish.

Photography by Samsung Galaxy Note II.

No comments:

Post a Comment