Tuesday, August 27, 2013

SugarBun @ Melbourne (Russel St)

Shop Front
Soooo fellow Sarawakians, you will be very familiar with this shop. That's right its SugarBun! Our childhood fast food shop! Not KFC, not Burger King but our very own Sarawakian Sugar Bun! The grand opening was last week however I only came and try it out today. My friend and I actually arrived around 11 20am but the only open at 11 30am. So we were forced to wait for awhile while they set up. So while waiting, we studied the menu. While in Sarawak it is a fast food restaurant where they operate just like KFC style where you have to order at the counter etc. However here in Melbourne, it is table service. The menu is a fusion of other local Malaysian dishes such as Sarawak Laksa and Bak Kut teh, however their signature dishes are also available, and that is what we were aiming for today.
Menu at the Door
Finally they were ready for service and we were the first customers of the day. Staff was really really friendly and looked after us well as we sat down. He immediately asked if he could get us some drinks to start with while we decide on what to eat. So we asked for some water. We were also presented with the beverage and food menu.
Menu
Flipping through the menu once again we decided not to order any drinks. So basically we made up our mind. We will have the fish fillet with savoury rice, 2 pieces broasted chicken with "Kano" Sauce for each of us, and a plate of Chickies to share. The waiter kindly took our order and we settled in and waited for our food to be served.
The Familiar Logo
The waiting time was quite long perhaps because we were the first customers and they had to get everything started from scratch. While waiting I told my friend who is from West Malaysia more about the background of SugarBun in my hometown. Finally, the fish fillet with savoury rice was served first.
Fish Fillet with Savoury Rice and Appe Hancer ($9)
This is my childhood favourite since I first had SugarBun. I remember those times where I was so happy when my parents takeaway this from SugarBun for me when I was a child. So I was very eager to try out how it tasted here in Melbourne, far away from homeland. The dish comes with a piece of deep fried crumbled fish fillet with SugarBun's signature savoury rice. I loved the savoury rice when I was a child I could just order only the savoury rice and enjoyed my meal. Apart from that, there's a piece of lemon to go with the fish and "Appe Hancer" which is their pickled cucumber and pineapple with carrot shreds. I started eating and to my surprise, every thing tasted 100% exactly the same as it tasted back in Sarawak. The savoury rice had just enough flavouring and the Appe Hancer as refeshing. Not to mention the fish had its signature taste. Definitely loving it and able to satisfy my craving for SugarBun.
Broasted Chicken with Kano Sauce ($7)
This is the most famous dish in SugarBun. Broasted chicken served with their signature Kano sauce, which tasted like sambal and with a pinch of lemon grass taste. Unlike KFC's tasteless chicken, the broasted chicken broasted with their own herbs and spices. It was juicy and goes perfect with the Kano Sauce. I remember my friend saying "I feel in love with the Kano sauce". This dish is served with the Appe Hancer salad too!
Chickies ($6)
Now chickies is like chicken fingers. Basically chicken breast cut into strips and deep fried. I remember we used to call them "Chicky Twix" back home in Sarawak. It was first targeted at children and I used to had them for lunch once in awhile back home. For this dish, though it's chicken breast, it was still juicy and tasted well with the sauce it came with!
Satisfied
So we had a satisfying lunch, great food, great company, and most importantly, it brings back awesome memories of Sarawak. Definitely coming again in the future! 

Just a little add on to this post, today I tried out the red-velvet cupcake at cupcake central. Since there's a lot of good review about it. I decided to give it a go.
Red Velvet Cupakes ($4 each)
The thing I like about it is that it is not very sweet. The cream had a buttery and cheesy taste which I like and the cake was moist. My friend and I had one each where the amount is just nice.

Photography by Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Try the Sarawak laksa at SugarBun and let us know the taste. I don't like it if they alter the taste to suit the locals there. Why bother introducing it in the first place? Just does not make sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool will try it out soon and make another review.

    ReplyDelete